Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use when making a gift to the Field Museum. Making a gift of securities or mutual funds to us offers you the chance to support our work while realizing important benefits for yourself.
When you donate appreciated securities or mutual funds you have held more than one year to us in support of our mission, you can reduce or even eliminate federal capital gains taxes on the transfer. You may also be entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction based on the fair market value of the securities at the time of the transfer.
Securities are most often used to support our work in the form of:
An outright gift. When you donate securities to the Museum, you receive the same income tax savings that you would if you wrote us a check, but with the added benefit of eliminating capital gains taxes on the transfer, which can be as high as 20 percent.
A transfer on death (TOD) account.* By placing a TOD designation on your brokerage or investment account, that account will be paid over to one or more persons or charities after your lifetime.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A donor advised fund.
- A memorial gift.
- An endowed gift.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
*State laws govern payable on death accounts. Please consult with your bank representative or investment advisor if you are considering this gift.
- Contact the Office of Planned Giving at 312.665.7563 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on appreciated securities.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the Museum in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
- Complete the Stock Transfer Instructions.
Legal Name: The Field Museum of Natural History
Address: 1400 S. DuSable Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60605-2496
Federal Tax ID Number: 36-2167011